Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Stranger Than Fiction

To change things up a little bit, here's a cute, light-hearted American romantic-comedy: 2006's Stranger Than Fiction.
-
I know. This is a bit more mainstream than most of the films I review. But there are many people who haven't seen this movie yet. Most are people who are not fans of Will Farrell.
-
Do not fret, Farrell haters (and I consider myself one of your ranks). There is no SNL-like silliness, no Ron Burgundy or Old School shenanigans. Will is the straight man here!!
-
And as hard as it is for me to write: Will Ferrell does a fine job.
-
He plays an IRS agent who suddenly starts hearing a female voice narrating his daily activities. Only he can hear this voice and it starts driving him mad; especially when the voice says something cryptic about his impending doom. So he sets out on a quest to find the narrator and change his fate, if possible.
-
Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, and Emma Thompson all do wonderful work in this film. It is well directed by Marc Forester (Finding Neverland and Monster's Ball), and written. It does get a tad cheesy in sections, but no worse than most romantic-comedies.

1 comment:

sezduck said...

Will Farrel is overrated! And you didn't tell me Queen freakin Latifa was in this movie. Not a fan of hers either. Ok, now that I've got that out of the way... this was a great movie!! One of the best I've seen in years - seriously. I can't recommend it enough. Oh, and Farrel and Latifa are great in it. Nice suggestion, Steve's Movie Suggestions!