Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tapeheads

This weeks suggestion is one of my favorite comedies of all time. 1988's quirky indictment of the music video industry, Tapeheads.
-
It stars John Cusack and Tim Robbins as a pair of under-achievers who have a dream of making rock videos.
-
This is Cusack and Robbins at their comedic bests. Cusack's character is kind of a sleaze, and he plays it perfectly. Robbins is equally good playing the artsy, creative type.
-
It has a ton of musicians who make cameos: Ted Nugent, Weird Al, Jello Biafra, Michael Nesmith (who also produced) to name a few.
-
It is rated R for some "adult situations" and for language. And it does get a little cheesy in parts. But it's also really entertaining.
-
I read a review that called it "the next generation Blues Brothers". I don't know if I'd go quite that far. But I do love this movie. It's a light-hearted romp through the rock video business.

No comments: