Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pi

This week's suggestion is Darren Aronofsky's 1998 masterpiece, Pi.

I know a lot of my friends have already seen this movie. But I'm writing this anyway for the few people I know who haven't seen it yet, and also because this is independent movie making at it's best.

It's about a paranoid, obsessive compulsive mathematician searching for order in nature's chaos. There are also forces trying to recruit him to work for their darker purposes.
-
This is not a dumbed-down Hollywood summer blockbuster. This is a really intelligent film, mixing numerology with Kaballah and Wall Street.
-
Don't worry if you're not a math-wiz. Everything is explained and ingeniously creative.
-
Being shot entirely in black and white also helps give it the "Indy" feel. The acting and direction are top-notch and even the soundtrack of music I typically don't like fits in perfectly. This is a must-see!

No comments: