Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shinobi: Heart Under Blade

I'm suggesting the next movie to a very select few. I just watched Shinobi: Heart Under Blade and enjoyed it. But I don't think very many people will.

Shinobi is billed as X-men meets Romeo and Juliette, and it doesn't lie. Two ancient clans of warriors (each warrior has a different 'special ability') face off to determine the rightful ruler of Japan. Unfortunately for them, two happen to have just fallen in love.

What I liked about it:
A] It was adapted from a Manga [anime] series, and indeed it is a well-done, for the most part, live-action anime. The action scenes are stunning. The characters' super powers are as realistic as super powers get and well shot. B] This movie is beautiful to look at, especially the backrounds and scenery. C] They introduce the love story and then leave it at the door - no cornyness here. D] Its many references to my favorite anime movie Ninja Scroll.

What I didn't like about it:
A] It was really hard to follow in spots! B] It's ending. I won't say any more in case you actually rent it. But really, unless you're a big fan of anime, I don't think this is a good rental for you.

No comments: