Monday, June 27, 2011

The Tourist

OK, This movie is very mainstream. But it got very mixed reviews. I think it deserves better than that.

It's called The Tourist (2010).

I had no expectations going in. Maybe that's the key. It is a bit cliche: bad guys are bad, Interpol doesn't have a clue to what's going on....

This is not the most suspenseful movie ever, nor the most original or least predictable.

But I don't think it's trying to be.

I think it's more of a light-hearted, easy-to-watch-after-a-really-bad-day-of-work romp of international intrigue - not many brain cells required.

It does have enough of a good story to keep your interest.

I found myself totally engrossed in Johnny Depp's character for 2 reasons. He is the common man - a tourist on vacation: not overly smart, witty, good with his fists, or a knack for getting out of trouble. And Depp plays him perfectly.

Angelina Jolie is pretty good too. She could be better. I think she kinda relies on her looks too much. But hey, they are good looks.

I guess I would classify this under the bad/great movie category. I'd probably be upset if I paid top dollar to see it in the theatre. But now that it's out on DVD. Rent. Relax. Don't think too much. Just enjoy.

No comments: