Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sherlock

Again, it's not a movie. But it's good. And streaming (dvds, available) on Netflix. And British.

Sherlock is a 2010 BBC mini-series (each episode is 90 min) - but only 3 episodes?? I want more! - created by 2 guys who wrote a bunch of (the new) Dr Who shows.

It was critically acclaimed, according to the number of Emmy's it was nominated for (4) and it also won a boat-load of other (FOREIGN, OH NOOO!) awards. Sherlock was so well received that they're filming a new set of 3 due to air next year!

This is a cool update of the classic set in modern day London. Yet it has all the hallmarks of Sir A.C. Doyle: incredible observation and deduction by Holmes (on the borderline of too incredible but hey: it's Sherlock Holmes, the greatest detective ever! Sit back and have fun.); great cases, including a famed "locked-door murders"; Holmes is as inept and awkward socially as he is utterly brilliant; and, most importantly, it's genuinely suspenseful.

This show has great writing, acting... maybe a few glitches with directing here or there, but I really enjoyed it! ...Until the ending of the last episode. I'd like to hear other people's opinions but I thought it was a bit contrived.

However, this detraction did not dissuade me from really liking the series. I was riveted throughout. Rent, watch, lemme know what you think.

5 comments:

-M- said...

I totally agree! This was a great series, brilliantly brought up to date... I hope they'll make more.

steves obscure movies said...

The new series (I don't know how many episodes) should be on BBC soon and then on Netflix streaming (hopefully) soon after that.

I hope the next series are as good as the first. I really enjoyed them, as you may have gathered already.

-M- said...

thanks for the update... I hadn't heard a new series was in the works. Looking forward to it.

sezduck said...

Just watched the first episode, and I'm impressed. Looking forward to the next 2.

steves obscure movies said...

Season 2 ROCKS!!