Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Darwin Awards

This isn't a "must see" but it is a cute little comedy nobody else has seen. 2006's The Darwin Awards.

It stars Joseph Fiennes as a former police detective who finds a better-suited calling in the insurance companies, figuring out who's most likely to accidentally off themselves by ludicrous accidents: i.e. who they shouldn't cover. Add Winona Ryder as the agent assigned to assist him. She's the Ying to his Yang.

The bad stuff: Funny subject and premise do not translate into a laugh-out-loud, roar-a-minute romp, sadly.

Also, if you've followed the actual Darwin Awards at all, as I have, there isn't anything new here. Pretty cool that it's based on fact, making it even funnier/more absurd, but I knew the outcomes far in advance.

The good stuff: Like I said already, a cute comedy. Almost a Rom-com at times. Well written & directed by some guy I don't know (Finn Taylor), and well acted.

There is a great reason to rent this if you have the chance: the best duo-cameo ever. I won't spoil it for you. But I re-watched that scene 3 times, laughing!

No comments: