Saturday, January 9, 2010

DO NOT RENT THIS!

I was all set to love this movie. I just joined Netflix and I really wanted this to be my first film rented. I'm a huge Terry Gilliam fan. And poor reviews are practically meaningless when it comes to his works...

Except in this case!

Normally, I wouldn't waste the time in writing a bad review. But this film warrants it.

According to the introduction by Gilliam himself, it's about a child's resilience and innocence. But Gilliam not only missed the mark, he wasn't even in the same zip code. There are scenes in this movie (way too numerous) I found totally inappropriate - and I'm not that squeamish.
-
This is a colossal waste of a potential viewer's time. There's no conflict in this story: no obstacles to overcome (inner or otherwise), no justice to be sought. It's just 2 hours of the worst, most scarring childhood imaginable.
-
For all you other Gilliam fans out there (or just film fans in general), and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT bother with this one! Go see Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasus instead.

No comments: