Sunday, January 31, 2010

Moon

This week you get two reviews for the price of one!

I just watched 2009's Moon, which I would suggest renting! Thanks, Brian, for recommending it to me!

To call Moon a sci-fi movie may give the wrong impression - there are no aliens, ship-to-ship combat scenes or anything in general exploding. This is a good psychological thriller that happens to take place on the far side of the Moon.

Written (original story) and directed by Duncan Jones, it's about a miner/astronaut who, approaching the end his three-year stint alone on the Moon , wonders if he's losing his mind due to strange events. A lot more is involved.

It's got a small cast, but they are all excellent - Sam Rockwell, in particular, as the astronaut and Kevin Spacey as the voice of the computer.

This is a good movie - it's atmospheric enough that it moves quite well and doesn't get boring, and it leaves you thinking about it afterwards. But I'd stop right there. I wouldn't call it great, but it is very worth seeing.

Moon kept reminding me of another movie: 2002's Solaris. Both have similar themes and subjects, but Solaris, based on a 1972 Russian film, is more diabolical but a lot SLOWER!

So, I'd suggest renting Moon. And if you liked that and can sit through a 2001-like tempo and want something a little darker - Solaris is right for you!

No comments: